Information for Students
North American Studies: Culture and Literature
Student Services & General Information
- Advice and services: an overview of the FAU’s various service offices
- Student Records Office: general help and advice for studying at the FAU
- GOS: Classes on academic writing, study skills etc. (only available in German)
- Manage your studies online: an overview of the FAU’s various online platforms (UnivIS, MeinCampus, StudOn, etc.)
Enrollment & Registration
- Class enrollment: find out more here
- OKTIS: the Language Center’s class enrollment system (in German)
- MeinCampus Info: leaflet explaining the most important functions and abbreviations of the online platform
Resources & Regulations
- OPAC: the university library’s online catalogue
- Research Databases: a selection of research databases for English and American Studies (in German)
- Written Assignments – Style Sheet: guidelines for composing written assignments (Hausarbeiten) in English and American Studies
- Basic Reading List: list of basic texts / background reading for the MA North American Studies
- Module Guide: detailed descriptions of all the MA program’s modules
- Allgemeine Prüfungsordnung: general regulations for BA and MA degree programs
- Prüfungsordnung für den MA North American Studies: examination regulations for the MA North American Studies
- Studienzeitverlängerung/Application of Extension (extension of x semesters)
Interdisciplinary Project Module
The following conferences are suggested for the interdisciplinary project module:
- Conference: Where My Girls At? Contemporary Feminist Art, July 2, 2020, LMU Munich
- Student Conference: American and British Walk Poetry from the Romantic Period to the Present, July 3, 2020, Goettingen
- Conference: Four Nations Commemoration, 1620-2020: the Pilgrims and the Politics of Memory, Aug. 26-29, 2020, Leiden University
- Conference: Speculative Endeavors: Culture of Knowledge and Capital in the Long Nineteenth Century, Oct. 22-24, 2020, Bayreuth
Please note: Most conferences for the summer term have been cancelled by now. If you were planning your project module for this summer, you have two options: You can either postpone it to the winter term or you can get in touch with either Prof. Kley (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Prof. Paul (email@example.com) to arrange for an alternative format (e.g. online event, lecture series, etc.).
Virtual Canadian Studies – Summer 2020
These virtual Canadian Studies classes might be of interest to some of you. If you’re considering taking any of these classes, please do get in touch with us to discuss how to integrate this into your course of study (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Contact Dr. Klaus Lösch for information on our exchange programs and other study opportunities in the USA and Canada
- More general information is available from FAU’s International Office.
- See also Information for Students: Going Abroad on our department website
If you have any questions concerning the organization of your studies which are not addressed here, please contact email@example.com.