Claudia Pereira de Jesus, M.A.
- Inter-American Studies
- Hemispheric Studies
- Latin American and North American Literary Studies
- Research Exchange between the UC Berkeley and the FAU Erlangen-Nürnberg, travel expenses covered by the Villigst Protestant Academic Foundation (Fall 2022)
- Doctoral Fellowship by the Villigst Protestant Academic Foundation (Evangelisches Studienwerk Villigst, since February 2020)
- Substituting the Assistant Professor at the Chair of North American Literary Studies (October 2019 – January 2020)
- Lecturer at the Institute for Romance Studies (Spanish Literature Classes, April 2019 – September 2019)
- Travel grants by the Office for Gender and Diversity, FAU Erlangen-Nürnberg (February 2019; May 2020), the Faculty of Humanities, Social Sciences, and Theology (April 2019; Fall 2022), the DAAD (April 2020; June 2022), and the Dr. Alfred-Vinzl-Foundation (May 2020/2022)
- Mentee in the ARIADNEphil-Program for young female academics (Office for Gender and Diversity, FAU Erlangen-Nürnberg) (April 2018 – September 2019)
- Master of Arts (The Americas/Las Américas) (FAU Erlangen-Nürnberg, 2018)
- Bachelor of Arts in Ibero-Romance and English and American Studies (FAU Erlangen-Nürnberg, 2016)
- Scholarship for the Fulbright American Studies Summer Session at Humboldt University, Berlin (Summer 2015)
Memberships and Functions
- Elected representative of young academics in the field of Latin American Studies at ADLAF (Arbeitsgemeinschaft Deutsche Lateinamerikaforschung, June 2020 – June 2022)
- Elected representative of doctoral candidates with a doctoral fellowship by the Villigst Protestant Academic Foundation (Evangelisches Studienwerk Villigst, June 2020 – June 2021)
- Elected representative of the doctoral candidates of the Faculty of Humanities, Social Sciences, and Theology (Promovierendenkonvent, October 2019 – September 2020)
- Member of the German Association for American Studies (GAAS/DGfA)
- Member of the International Association of Inter-American Studies e.V. (IAS)
- Member of the Interdisciplinary Research Network on the Americas (RIIA)
- Member of the Society for Latin American Studies (SLAS) and of the Postgraduates in Latin American Studies (PILAS)
- Member of the Society for Multi-Ethnic Studies: Europe and the Americas (MESEA)
- Member of the Editorial Board of americana
- Member of the Scientific Commitee of Last Avenue (Journal of Comparative Literature and Translation)
Papers and Lectures
- “Writing Back to the Empire Using the Utopian Language of Hope.” 2022 MLA International Symposium, University of Glasgow, June 02-04, 2022.
- “Sandra Cisneros’ “Woman Hollering Creek” (1991) – A Magical Realist Short Story Promoting the Possibility of Reinventing Gender Roles in the US-Mexican Borderlands.” The Society for Multi-Ethnic Studies: Europe and the Americas (MESEA) 2020/2022 Conference, University of Central Lancashire, Larnaka, Cyprus, May 27-30, 2020/May 26-29, 2022.
- Workshop organized by the ADLAF Young Academic Researchers at the 2021 ADLAF Conference Knowledge, Power, and Digital Transformation in Latin America, Online, July 2, 2021.
- “Mythology Meets Sexuality: Sandra Cisneros’ “Never Marry a Mexican”.” International Conference: Beyond Borders: Mapping Sexualities and the Sexualization of Spaces, University of Lyon/Online, May 5-7, 2021.
- “Global Ecological Citizenship in Ernest Callenbach’s Ecotopia (1975) – Promoting a Non-Anthropocentric Relationship between Humanity and Nature.” The European Association for American Studies (EAAS) 2020 Conference, University of Warsaw, Poland, May 1-3, 2020. Postponed due to 2020 Corona crisis: Online, April 30-May 2, 2021.
- “Tierra prometida o infierno verde? La selva colombiana en la obra de José Eustasio Rivera.” Society of Latin American Studies (SLAS) 2021 Conference, Online, April 12-16, 2021.
- Workshop “Borderland Encounters: Identities, Bodies, and Emotions” with Selina Foltinek (University of Bayreuth). Organized by the Interdisciplinary Research Network on the Americas (RIIA), Online, February 18, 2021.
- Talk as a scholarship holder at “Förderungsmöglichkeiten für Forschungs- und Studienaufenthalte in Lateinamerika.” ADLAF Webinar Series De la idea a la práctica 2020/2021, Online, December 09, 2020.
- Online Seminar Series “De la idea a la práctica” organized by the ADLAF Young Academic Researchers, Online, November 11, 2020 – February 10, 2021.
- “Gioconda Belli’s Waslala. Memorial del Futuro (1996) – Illuminating the Gap Between a Bleak Future Scenario Concerning Nicaragua’s Hegemonic Order and the Alternative Community of Waslala.” Society of Latin American Studies (SLAS) 2020 Conference, University of Amsterdam, April 17-18, 2020 (cancelled due to 2020 Corona crisis).
- “Karen Tei Yamashita’s Through the Arc of the Rain Forest (1990) – A Postcolonial and Ecocritical Novel Promoting a Global Ecological Citizenship.” International Workshop: Ecocritical Life Writing in the Dystopic Present, University of Augsburg, December 5-6, 2019.
- “James Cañón’s Tales from the Town of Widows (2007) – A Contemporary Feminist Utopia Based on the Discovery of Self-Determined Identity.” Society of Latin American Studies (SLAS) 2019 Conference, University of Leicester, April 4-5, 2019.
- “Latino Otherness in the Netflix series Narcos.” International Conference on Film Studies on Identity, Projection and the Other. London Centre of Interdisciplinary Research, University of London, February 9, 2019.
- Pereira de Jesus, Claudia. “Postmodern Crises in Historicity in Karen Tei Yamashita’s Through the Arc of the Rain Forest (1990).” Last Avenue: Journal of Comparative Literature and Translation, vol. 2, no. 1, January 2023.
- Hachenberger, Claudia. “Una Selva Inhumana y Devoradora: Análisis Ecocrítico de la Novela La Vorágine (1924).” Latin American Literary Review (LALR), vol. 48, no. 97, November 2021, pp. 30-38.
- Hachenberger, Claudia. “Returning to Nature as Habitat? The Ecocritical, Non-Canonical Voice of the Environmentally Dispossessed in Waslala: Memorial del Futuro.” Current Objectives of Postgraduate American Studies (COPAS), vol. 22, no. 1, June 2021, pp. 83-101.
- Hachenberger, Claudia. “Narcos and the Promotion of an U.S. (Informal) Cultural Empire Based on Processes of Stereotyping and Comparison.” forum for inter-american research (fiar), vol. 12, no. 1, June 2019, pp. 43-55.
- Hachenberger, Claudia. “Parallel, divers, nachhaltig, anders: Wie Tales from the Town of Widows (2007) dazu beiträgt, Gesellschaft neu zu denken.” Paragesellschaften: Imaginationen – Inszenierungen – Interaktionen in den Gegenwartskulturen, edited by Teresa Hiergeist, Agnes Bidmon, Simone Broders, and Katharina Gerund. De Gruyter, 2021, pp. 219-234.
- Jansen, Silke, and Lucía Romero Gibu. “Violencia verbal contra migrantes en contextos institucionales en Alemania: reporte del proyecto VIOLIN.” americana, vol. 2, 2020, pp. 1-24. Title of the translation: “Verbale Gewalt gegen Migrant*innen im deutschen institutionellen Kontext: Bericht über das VIOLIN-Projekt.”
- Introduction to English and American Literary Studies (GS Literature)
- Introduction into English and American Literary Periods (Lektüreseminar L-UF)
- Introduction to Spanish Literary Studies (BS Spanische Literaturwissenschaft)
- Introduction to Literary Theory (AS Literature)
- Seminar on Linguistic Variety and Cultural Difference (KS)
- Ästhetik und gesellschaftskritische Potentiale des Realismo Mágico von den 1950ern bis heute (PS Spanische Literaturwissenschaft)