Application & Admission
North American Studies: Culture and Literature
To apply for the Master program North American Studies you have to meet the following requirements:
- undergraduate degree in American or English studies (a significant percentage of the undergraduate degree must include content related to American studies). To present proof of a significant focus on literature and culture classes, preferably with America-related content, applicants need to provide a transcript of records.
- a final grade of ‘gut’ (good – at least 2.5) or better; applicants with a final grade between 2.5 and 3.5 must pass an interview.
- proof of English language proficiency level C1 according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (see this orientation guide for further information). The test for English C1 can also be taken at our university’s Language Centre. Please apply here: http://www.englishplacement.sz.uni-erlangen.de/master.
- proof of German language proficiency at CEFR A1 level (info on German language courses and examinations at FAU)
Application & Deadline
General application opens February 3 and ends July 15. Qualified applicants will be admitted on a rolling basis to the subsequent winter term. We therefore encourage early applications.
Applicants with a final grade between 2.5 and 3.5 can apply for an interview. If grades which are submitted subsequently improve the average grade (2.5 or better), the interview is not necessary. We will notify you as soon as possible whether your application was successful or not, or whether you will need to attend an interview.
You can apply online for the program here. Please do not forget to include the following documents with your application:
- secondary education certificate;
- university degree certificate with transcript of records proving a significant focus on literary and/or cultural studies, preferably with America-related content.
- proof of English at level C1 (IELTS 7, TOEFL 95) and, if applicable, German at A1 (German language skills need to be documented within the first year of study at the latest).
- 1000–1500 word essay. For applications for the winter term 2023/24 the essay questions are available here. (Please note: only answer one of the two questions and stay within the word limit.)
Further information on the application process can be found here.
Please address any questions about the online application process to email@example.com and any question on the program to firstname.lastname@example.org.