PD Dr. Stefanie Schäfer
Transnational and Comparative North American Studies
Gender in popular culture and film
Storytelling, self-narration, autobiography theory and narrative theory
19th century literature and the writings of John Neal
North American Western myths
Teaching literature in the university classroom
- Women Performers in North American Western Cultures, research project (awarded funding: 30 000,- Euros, Pro Chance Programm A1, FSU Jena, 2017-2019)
- Black Womanhood in Popular Culture (with Katharina Gerund), forthcoming special issue of Open Cultural Studies
Recent and Upcoming Activities
- “Cowgirldom on the Move: The Transnational Performances of Annie Oakley”, EBAAS meeting of the European Association of American Studies, London, April 4-7. 2018.
- “Von Michelle zu Melania. Mode, Feminismen, und First Ladies in den USA.” DAI Nürnberg, April 18, 2018. Listen to the lecture on Deutschlandfunk Nova on July 8, 2018!
- “(Trans)National Counter/Publics and the Politics of Humor in US Culture”, Panel chair, DGfA/GAAS annual meeting, FU Berlin, May 24-27, 2018.
Education and Employment
- April 2018: visiting professor of American Studies, Chair of American Studies: Culture and Literature, FAU Erlangen Nürnberg
- June 2017: venia legendi “North American Literature and Culture”, FSU Jena
- Since 2010: assistant professor for American Studies, department of English and American Studies, University of Jena (chair Prof. Dr. C. Rosenthal)
- December 2009: Dr. phil. University of Heidelberg, doctorate thesis: “Just the Two of Us:’ Self-Narration and Recognition in the Contemporary American Novel” (magna cum laude)
- 2007-2009: research assistant, English Department, University of Heidelberg (chair Prof. Dr. Vera Nünning)
- 2005-2006: teacher of English and French, Helmholtzgymnasium Heidelberg
- 2005: M.A. and 1. Staatsexamen (Gym)/ state teacher’s degree (English and French Philologies), University Trier
- 1999-2005: Studies of English and French philologies, University Trier and University of Minnesota
Fellowships and Grants
- 12/2017: FSU research grant for young female postdocs, (Pro Chance Program)
- 06/2016 : short listed (2nd) for Lectureship North American literature and Culture, English Department, University of Berne, Switzerland
- 10/2015 : good practice– award (teaching), FSU Jena
- 07/2013: Excursion funding from Ernst-Abbe Projektstiftung, German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD), FSU Alumni association
- 09/2012-02/2013: Postdoctoral research grant, German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD); German Research Fellowship, Library of Congress, Kluge Center, for postdoctoral research
- 06/2012: Publication grant, American Consulate Leipzig and Association for Canadian Studies in German-speaking Countries (GKS)
- 04/2012: Conference funding, Association for Canadian Studies in German-speaking Countries (GKS)
- 04/2012: “Library Support Program” for Canadiana at the Jena University Library ThULB (with Caroline Rosenthal)
- 08/2011: Research Grant for postdoctoral research at Harvard University, FSU of Jena
- 06/2010: Publication grant for dissertation, Geschwister Boehringer Ingelheim Stiftung für Geisteswissenschaften
- 2008/2009: Conference and publication funding, Zentrum Hochschuldidaktik Baden-Württemberg,
- 06/2009: “Best practice” award, higher education certificate, Zentrum Hochschuldidaktik Baden-Württemberg
- 2008/2009: Conference and publication funding, Fritz-Thyssen-Stiftung
- Yankee Yarns: Storytelling and the Invention of the National Body in 19th Century American Culture. (habilitation manuscript, publication in preparation)
- ‘Just the Two of Us’: Self-Narration and Recognition in the Contemporary American Novel. Trier: WVT, 2011.
- Fake Identity? The Impostor Narrative in North American Culture. Co-edited with Caroline Rosenthal. Frankfurt/Main: Campus, 2014.
- Learning 9/11: Teaching for Key Competences in Literary and Cultural Studies. Co-edited with Irina Bauder-Begerow. Heidelberg: Winter, 2011.
- ‘Hello, I say, It’s Me:’ (Re)Constructions of Subjectivity in Contemporary Literature and Culture. Co-edited with Jan Kucharzewski and Lutz Schowalter. Trier: WVT, 2009.
Grants and Awards
- DGfA/GAAS (Deutsche Gesellschaft für Amerikastudien)
- GKS (Gesellschaft für Kanada-Studien)
- DAV (Deutscher Anglistenverband)
- DHV (Deutscher Hochschulverband)
Service to the Profession
- Gesellschaft für Kanada-Studien: Curator of the Book Exhibit, annual conference (2015-2018)
- Assistant editor of ZKS (Zeitschrift für Kanadastudien), 2010-2011
- Peer reviewer for EJAS: European Journal for American Studies
Community Involvement/outreach/public lectures
- Organiser: “Frontfrauen. Ein Tag zu Frauen und Karriere.“ FSU Jena, October 2017
- “Uncle Sam und der Bald Eagle: Die USA als nationale Figur bei Thomas Nast”. öffentlicher Vortrag auf Einladung des Thomas Nast Vereins Landau, Stadtbibliothek Landau (Pfalz), September, 2017 (in German).
- Teacher training seminars on Canadian and American literature and culture (ThILLM, Leucorea Wittenberg, since 2016)
Reader, “Vorlesetag”, Stiftung Lesen, 2016 and 2017