Basisvorlesung English Linguistics II
Time and place:
- Mon 17:15-18:00
Prerequisites / Organizational information
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, all winter term classes will be taught online.
The Basisvorlesung English Linguistics II belongs to the following modules in the indicated degree programs:
- BA English and American Studies: Basismodul Linguistics. (No requirements but previous attendance of GS strongly recommended.)
- Lehramt Englisch an Gymnasien: Basismodul Linguistics. (No requirements but previous attendance of GS strongly recommended.)
NB In the degree programs BA and L-Gym, the Aufbauseminar| and the |Basisvorlesung| are examined in a joint written end-of-semester test. Therefore, these courses must be attended in the same semester. Since this lecture is part of the |Aufbauseminar there is no need to register for it
Erasmus students who wish to take a seperate exam on the contents of this lecture need to contact Barbara Gabel-Cunningham in January.
This lecture deals with aspects of modern linguistics and provides an introduction to modern linguistics, especially corpus linguistics and . cognitive aspects of the study of language.
A focus will be put on topics such as:
- why we know so much more about the nature of language than we did fifty years ago
- how language and cognition are related
- how we imagine language to be a network of constructions
- how children learn language.
*Required reading:* Thomas Herbst. 2010. |English Linguistics|. Berlin: de Gruyter.